Friday, July 1, 2011

Unemployment blues

I'm only working sporadically right now, doing temp work, cleaning, and the like. It's tough to be on the bottom half of the labor market right now, because even bad jobs are hard to get. There's a light at the end of the tunnel for me as I'll start my accounting program in September and should be able to live off of my loans. Still, though, I had envisioned financial independence immediately out of college, so I'm feeling pretty bad about myself right now. I'm fully aware of how lucky I am though to have the support of my parents, who are loaning me money so that I can make ends meet.

I am SO EXCITED to end up in a year and a half with a degree and certification that'll get me some real money and that even fits in with my long-term career hopes and dreams. It's incredibly exciting.

Over the last month, I've done a temp job that split 9 hours of work over two days, from which it took me three hours to get home each day. In addition to that, they sent us home early (after we worked really quickly and fishished the job they had given us) and we thus didn't get paid for the final 3.5 hours we had been promised. And they made us use adding machines instead of computers. Not cool.

I also cleaned out a very lonely woman's vacuum with a toothbrush and spoon-fed her dog breakfast, two kibbles at a time. I think you'll understand why that wasn't a job built to last.

I also was rejected for a nine-day sleep study that would have paid me $2,300 in exchange for living in a lab 24/7 and, on two occasions, staying awawake for 20-70 hour stretches while lying in bed and letting them take my blood and monitor my brain waves. I really wanted that sleep study -- that would have been $11 bucks an hour, 24 hours a day, for 9 days! I'd be rich!

So life is hard, I'm learning. I'm also learning how amazingly lucky I am to have a clear-cut way out of this mess and friends and family who are helping me get through the tough times.

And I'm signing up for fall classes as we speak! Over and out.

2 comments:

Kristin Apotsos said...

I here you. I don't envy your position. Getting your foot in the door straight out of college is tough, doing so in this economy is near impossible.
I laughed at your attempt to become a subject for scientific study. I've taken part in studies & peddled my plasma to make ends meet.

My sister got her accounting degree & CPA from Case Western Reserve. She worked for Deloitte & Toushe (sp?) for a while & now works for Sidley, Austin & Young (HUGE international law firm) in Chicago. I'll gladly pass your name on to my sister when the time comes.
Hang in there! Kristin Apotsos

Amy C. Pooley said...

Ha, I remember you telling my class that you sold blood and plasma when you were in college. At the time it sounded crazy, but your perspectives on these things change when you're low on cash.

And I would absolutely love to take you up on that offer, especially since I see myself moving back to Chicago within the next few years.