Wednesday, July 27, 2011

POOLEYBLOG's Top 100 Songs #40-31

40. Asleep and dreaming -- The Magnetic Fields

Stephin Merritt has a gift for using classic/cliched imagery in a way that's moving and fresh.  His songs talk about butterflies, trains and ships, soldiers at war, roses, etc. etc. but it's never silly -- or at least, it's never silly in a way that's a problem.

This song also happens to contain one of the sweeter sentiments about love I've ever heard.

Best line: "I've seen you laugh at nothing at all, I've seen you sadly weeping.  The sweetest thing I ever saw was you asleep and dreaming.  I've seen you when your ship came in and when your train was leaving.  The sweetest thing I ever saw was you asleep and dreaming.  Oh, you may not be beautiful, but it's not for me to judge.  I don't know if you're beautiful because I love you too much."


39. Confessions of a futon revolutionist -- The Weakerthans
The Weakerthans have a lot of dumb moments, but this song is one big great dumb moment.  It's from their first album, which came out in the late '90's.  This reminds me of high school in a surprisingly good way.

Best line: "And we'll talk the night away.  You'll call in sick; I'll quit the word games that I play.  Swear I way more than half believe it when I say that somewhere love and justice shines, cynicism falls asleep, tyranny talks to itself, sappy slogans all come true, we forget to feed our fear."
38. Refuge -- John Legend

One of my go-to shower songs. This man is so great. 

Best line: "You know and I know, through all the battles, Baghdad to Israel, there's one thing I know for sure: when it's cold outside, there's no need to worry 'cause I'm so warm inside.  You give me peace when the storm's outside.  'Cause we're in love I know it'll be all right.  It's all right, it's all right."

37. Ex factor -- Lauryn Hill

This is another one of those songs where I'm just like WHAAAAAAAT HOW IS THAT NOISE COMING OUT OF YOUR FACE, WOMAN?!!! Lauryn Hill is the classic brilliant eccentric.

This song is also about a completely insane relationship.  If you ever find yourself in a relationship like this, I suggest getting out quick.  But it is great artistic material.

Best line: "It could all be so simple, but you'd rather make it hard.  Loving you is like a battle, and we both end up with scars."

36. Thunder road -- Bruce Springsteen

I think if you don't find this song at least a little moving, you're either a robot or you were never young.  Just saying.

Best line; "As the screen door slams, Mary's dress sways.  Like a vision she dances across the porch as the radio plays.  Roy Orbison singing for the lonely -- hey that's me, and I want you only.  Don't turn me home again, I just can't face myself alone again."

35. Ocean of noise -- Arcade Fire

My god.  The strings, the slow development, the storm in the background, the intensity.  This is theatre, in a great way. Have I mentioned I love the shit out of this band.  I just love them, love them, love them. 

Best line: "We're gonna work it out, 'cause time won't work it out for you.  We're gonna work it on out."

34. Let him run wild -- The Beach Boys

This is an underrated song.  There's something about it that just hits the ear right. It's at once earnest and frustrated, like so much of the Beach Boys' work. Brian Wilson has identified this album (Summer Days...and Summer Nights!!) as his favorite by the band.   

Best line: "All the dreams you shared with him, you might as well forget.  I know you needed true love, and that's what you'll get."

33. Valerie -- Amy Winehouse/Mark Ronson

So this song all of the sudden got timely.  As you know, Amy Winehouse died a few days ago. She was incredibly messed up and made awful choices for herself.  She also had a tremendous voice and made some awesome music. 

This song was actually from a Mark Ronson album, and was itself a cover of a band called the Zutons.  And I honestly think the Winehouse/Ronson version is one of the best songs of the entire decade.  Like...dang.  Seriously, man.
Best line: "Stop making a fool out of me...why don't you come on over Valerie?"

32. In my life -- The Beatles

One of those perfect love songs.

Best line: The whole thing.

31. Let’s stay together -- Al Green

Great.

Best line: Also the whole thing.

No comments: