Monday, July 11, 2011

I'm proud to add my name to the roster

of bandwagon fans of the USA Women's World Cup team.

Now, I'm the first to admit I'm not a soccer fan -- basketball and American football are my sports of choice. But I just watched the replay of the US v. Brazil over at espn3, and it was nothing short of inspiring. All of those great themes of sports -- perseverance in spite of adversity, trust in yourself and in your team, justice, fair play -- all of those were played out beautifully in that win. What a great game that was to watch.

As silly as it might sounds, female athletes make me feel proud to be a woman. I think it might actually be harder to feel confident as a strong woman than it was 10 or 15 years ago. The 3rd wave feminist push to send a message that "strong women can be sexy" has resulted in a media culture that thinks its feminist to celebrate Rihanna as an empowered woman. Well, that's bullshit, I say. I declare today that singing about sex on the radio does not an empowered woman make. But I digress.

The women's World Cup team played with incredible toughness yesterday, and made me excited to be a woman and an American.

Let's hope these ladies keep it up Wednesday and Sunday. Go USA!

2 comments:

Ruth Orme-Johnson said...

USA! USA! ALL THA WAY! BEAT JAPAN!

Amy C. Pooley said...

Ruth OJ! All the way! I love you, my lady. :)