Friday, July 15, 2011

POOLEYBLOG's Top 100 songs #s100-91

Today is the first installment of my 100 favorite songs.  Now, these are favorite songs, not best songs -- I am in no way trying to argue here that some song from "That Thing You Do!" is better than "A Change is Gonna Come." This is about love, not objective appreciation.  So let's go!

100. Home -- Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeros

Just cracking the top hundred for me is this wonderful little song -- whistling, sentimentality, that happy feeling -- what more could I want?

Best line: "Home, let me go home.  Home is wherever I'm with you!"

99. Underdog -- Spoon

A year and a half ago, Wine Thursday.  Dave Lowe pulls out the guitar, Sam pulls out the drums, Gabe pulls out his voice.  Memories, memories.

Best line: "You got no fear of the underdog.  That's why you will not survive."

98. A change is gonna come -- Sam Cooke

Powerful, powerful stuff.  Wasn't released until after he died though -- sad, strange story.  I sing this song whenever I'm waiting for a train, except I sing, "It's been a long time coming, but I know a train is gonna come."

Best line: "Oh there been times I thought I couldn't last for long, but now I think I'm able to carry on. "

97. Don't believe the hype -- Public Enemy

So simple, so smart.  Don't believe the hype. Genius.  Chuck D is a smart guy and he's gotten better with age -- he doesn't say anti-Semitic things anymore, for starters.  He's just a solid lefty dude who used to be on Air America. Flava Flav, well, we won't talk about him.

Best line: "I'm not a hooligan.  I rock the party and clear all the madness."  Words to live by.

96. Get out the map -- Indigo Girls

Yep, I decided to put an Indigo Girls track on this list.  My freshman year of college, I took a road trip to the Smokies over spring break and we listened to this on repeat -- perfect.

Best line: "I'm gonna clear my head. I'm gonna drink that sun. I'm gonna love you good and strong while our love is good and young."

95. Effigy -- Andrew Bird

He's got a million great little songs, but this is the only one cracking my Top 100.  This one's my favorite mostly because I think the last trip through the "It could be you, it could be me" part is beautiful and powerful.  Seriously, the last "time aaaaaaalone" is incredible. 

Best line: "When one has spent too much time alone..."

94. All my only dreams -- "That Thing You Do!" soundtrack

All right, so hear me out here.  You remember Fountains of Wayne, right? Well, they did the soundtrack to "That Thing You Do!" So think of this song as a Fountains of Wayne song performed by set musicians.  It's really good. 

Best line: There isn't one.  It's just a nice song.

93. Stay with you -- John Legend

Cue John Legend rant.  Why isn't John Legend the most popular musician in the world? The man makes these wonderful, charming, uplifting, smart albums that everrrrrryone can enjoy.  And yet, he gets no love from critics, not much from the radio.  The only people who seem to like him are the other musicians he works with (and I guess the people who give out Grammys, but no one cares what they think).  Fortunately, I think the world is starting to appreciate John a little bit more, especially since he released Wake Up!, his fabulous collaboration with The Roots (more about that to come!)  Anyway, this is just solid, classic John Legend.

Best line: "Though relationships can get old, have the tendency to grow cold, we've got something like a miracle -- and I will stay with you."

92. Dancing in the moonlight -- King Harvest

This was my favorite song in 9th and 10th grade.  It's tough not to feel good when you here this one.

Best line: I like the "Everybody!"s.

91. Julie -- Jens Lekman

Young love.

Best line: "Oh Julie, meet me by the vending machine.  Oh Julie, I'm gonna buy you a wedding ring."


Stay tuned! 90-81 coming soon!

No comments: