Friday, July 15, 2011

POOLEYBLOG'S Top 100 Songs #80-71

80. Born on a train -- The Magnetic Fields

So, this is one of my favorite Magnetic Fields songs, and I thought it was just me because it's not one of the famous ones.  But lo and behold, when I was looking for a youtube link to the song, I discovered this FUCKING AWESOME cover of the song by none other than Arcade Fire.  Win Butler apparently likes the song too.  Could my life be any better?

Best line: "Well I've been making promises I know I'll never keep.  One of these days I'm gonna leave you in your sleep."

79. King of the road -- Roger Miller

Celebratory and laid-back, almost in a crazy way.

Best line: "Third boxcar, midnight train. Destination, Bangor, Maine. Old worn out suits and shoes.  I don't pay no union dues."

78. (Now and then there's) A fool such as I -- Elvis Presley

The first of a couple of Elvis songs on this list.  The backing vocals by the Jordanaires are excellent.

Best line: "I'm a fool, but I love you dear, until the day I die.  Now and then there's a fool such as I."

77. It's only time -- The Magnetic Fields

What a sweet and delicate and perfect song.  They performed this song at the first of their two concerts I've seen (which happened to be the better of the two.) 

Best line: Oh, must I choose? How about "I'll walk your lands and swim your seas.  Marry me, marry me."?

76. You don't own me -- Lesley Gore

This is a really great video. 1964 was a funny time in America -- I wonder if people realized at the time that they were about to fall off a cliff (in a good way!).  And Lesley Gore is really cool.

Best line: "I'm young, and I love to be young. I'm free, and I love to be free." Me too, Lesley, me too.

75. (What's so funny about) Peace love & understanding -- Elvis Costello

Written by Nick Lowe (who will get some love later in this list). This song took a long time to grow on be, but it's since eclipsed all other Elvis Costello songs for me except for one.

Best line: "As I walk on through troubled times, my spirit gets so downhearted sometimes.  So where are the strong and who are the trusted? And where is the harmony, sweet harmony?"

74. Rebellion (Lies) -- Arcade Fire

Arcade Fire really must be such a blast live (sigh).  Win Butler is a character. 

Best line: "Sleeping is caving in no matter what the time is."

73. Come Monday -- Jimmy Buffett

Another really interesting video.  I think I feel especially sentimental about this song as a Floridian who sometimes just wants to be away from the city, in fresh, open, warm air.

Best line: "I've got my hush-puppies on, I guess I never was meant for glitter rock and roll."

72. Different drum -- Linda Ronstadt and the Stone Poneys

I'm going to talk for a second about Linda Ronstadt, who does not get the credit she deserves from my generation for making awesome songs.  No, she wasn't a songwriter, but her artistry was about her vocal performances, which were ridiculously good.  Also, she sang in the voice of a strong woman, not this stupid la-da-da shit so many female singers have been doing for the last decade.  PIPES. It's about the pipes with this lady.

Best line: "I ain't saying you ain't pretty.  All I'm saying is I'm not ready for any person, place, or thing trying to pull the reigns in on me."

71. There there -- Radiohead

This live performance is nothing short of compelling, so I hope you watch it, whoever you are.  This song is sort of a general stand-in for all of the Radiohead songs I like (Nice dream, Let down, No surprises, etc.) because I don't love the band enough to use more than one Top 100 spot for them.  But as I say, they're compelling, and this song moves along in a really cool way.

Best line: "Just 'cause you feel it doesn't mean its there."

No comments: