Friday, July 15, 2011

POOLEYBLOG's Top 100 songs #90-81

90. If I ain't got you -- Alicia Keys

Good solid R&B. 

Best line: "Some people want it all, but I don't want nothing at all if it ain't you."

89. Always be my baby -- Mariah Carey

This is my Mariah Carey pick.  The woman has pipes but she's dumber than a bag of rocks. We all have our strengths and weaknesses.  Did I mention her voice is unreal? Doo doo doo, dum.

Best line: "And we'll linger on.  Time can't erase a feeling this strong."

88. Shine -- John Legend & The Roots

If you haven't checked out this album, you really should.  It'll pick you up if you're having a bad day, guaranteed. 

Best line: "Can't eat if we don't feed 'em.  Can't read if we don't teach 'em."

87. Intervention -- Arcade Fire

Oh, Arcade Fire.  Arcade Fire rocks.  I really hope I get to see them in concert before I die.  I met Will Butler once -- he went to Northwestern and we actually have some mutual friends (I'm so cool!!!!!) But that's not why I met him -- I just shook his hand after he gave a speech at NU.  I was pumped.

Best line: "Who's gonna throw the very first stone? Oh, who's gonna reset the bones?!"

86. Here there and everywhere -- The Beatles

The Beatles were just a little band that never really hit it big, but they made a few pretty good songs.

Best line: "...changing my life with the wave of her hand..."

85. Call me -- Al Green

Al Green basically made the same song over and over again before his gospel years.  But who cares? Great, great, great.

Best line: Doesn't matter. Al Green could sing "Tomatoes garbage trucks flip flops monster trucks" on loop and it would be in my Top 100.

84. Clampdown -- The Clash

Thanks, The Clash.  This is the song I listen to when I'm pissed off if I'm not listening to the most satisfying angry song in history, Ludacris' "Get Back".

Best line: "No man born with a living soul can be working for the clampdown!"

83. Tiny dancer -- Elton John

I have awesome memories of singing this with Claire when she played it on her ukulele.  It was also used expertly on The Office -- season two, episode 1, "The Dundies."

Best line: "Hold me closer, tiny dancer! Count the headlights on the highway!"

82. Bridge over troubled water -- Simon and Garfunkel

Paul Simon is a great songwriter who always kind of comes across as a chump to me, and Art Garfunkel is an incredible singer who always kind of comes across as a dumb stoner to me.  But what a successful duo. And the Aretha Franklin version is worth listening to, as well.

Best line: "Like a bridge over troubled water, I will lay me down."

81. Carolina in my mind -- James Taylor

James Taylor made some awesome songs in the 60's and 70's before assaulting us with all of those terrible Christmas albums he's been selling in Starbucks for the last decade.  His songs are wonderful sing-along songs.

Best line: "Dark and silent, late last night, I think I might have heard the highway calling..."

2 comments:

Abby Southwell said...

Amy, I love the concept and the format of this list, especially the "best line" section. I'm going to be VERY interested to see what songs #80-1 are, because you have some serious heavy hitters at 81-100!

Amy C. Pooley said...

Abby Southwell, you're so great.