Monday, July 18, 2011

POOLEYBLOG's Top 100 songs #70-61

70. Such great heights -- The Postal Service

I normally wouldn't like this kind of song (I don't like anything else from this band) but this song is just so charming.  I dislike the Iron & Wine version and refuse to link to it. 

Best line: "And I'm think it's a sign that the freckles in our eyes are mirror images and when we kiss they're perfectly aligned. And I have to speculate that God himself did make us into corresponsding shapes, like puzzle pieces from the clay."

69. The state I am in -- Belle and Sebastian

Belle and Sebastian were doing this kind of song before everyone else was, and they've had a creative and productive career.  This song is basically a really great hook on loop. 

Best line: "I gave myself to sin, I gave myself to providence, and I've been there and back again, the state that I am in."

68. Lua -- Bright Eyes

Conor Oberst is annoying but gifted, and this album ("I'm Wide Awake, It's Morning") is excellent from start to finish.  The bigger hit was "First Day of My Life", but Lua features Emmylou Harris vocals and one of the better simple endings I've ever heard to a song.

Best line:  "Well I'm not sure what the trouble was that started all of this.  The reasons all have run away, but the feeling never did."

67. This land is your land -- Woody Guthrie

Woody Guthrie wrote "The land is your land" as a response to Kate Smith's "God Bless America" (which was written by the fabulous Irving Berlin.) Guthrie wasn't a fan of the rah-rah patriotic sentiment expressed that song and sought to write a lefty alternative patriotic song.  "This land is your land" has a couple of lefty verses that are sometimes left off of recordings of the song.

Best line:


There was a big high wall there that tried to stop me;
Sign was painted, it said private property;
But on the back side it didn't say nothing;
This land was made for you and me.

Nobody living can ever stop me,
As I go walking that freedom highway;
Nobody living can ever make me turn back
This land was made for you and me.
In the squares of the city, In the shadow of a steeple;
By the relief office, I'd seen my people.
As they stood there hungry, I stood there asking,
Is this land made for you and me?
66. In the backseat -- Arcade Fire

Regine Chassagne is an amazing singer, and she lets it rip on this incredibly emotional song.  And the "hoo woo woos" at the end are ridiculous, in the awesome way.

Best line: "My family tree's losing all its leaves."

65. Co-pilot -- Letters to Cleo

I was obsessed with this band in high school.  They formed in the early 90's and broke up in the early 2000's, subtly following musical trends as they changed from a semi-grunge band to a pop-punk band as their career progressed.  They did a couple of songs for the 10 Things I Hate About You soundtrack, and I was hooked.  Though the band is best known for a song called "Here and Now", "Copilot" still comes on periodically in stores or restaurants, and I'm always thrilled. 
Best line: "Everybody says that you're no good. I don't pay attention, no, it doesn't matter, though I know it should...who cares about my friends?"

64. Black cab -- Jens Lekman

My dad describes Jens as a minor key version of Gordon Lightfoot.  Good point, Dad.

Best line: "I want to sleep in my bed. I want to clean up my head.  Don't want to look this dead, don't want to feel this dread."
63. American girl -- Tom Petty

It's not a BBQ if you don't play American Girl.

Best line: "Oh yeah, all right, take it easy baby."

62. Always on my mind -- Willie Nelson

Willie Nelson was a dick to his girlfriend, but at least he's sorry. I've always found Willie Nelson a bit cheesy, but this is a solid song.

Best line: "Tell me, tell me that your sweet love hasn't died."

61. I walk the line -- Johnny Cash

I love songs about monogamy. They're cooler than songs about playing the field, and way, way cooler than songs about cheating.

Best line: "I find it very, very easy to be true.  I find myself alone when each day's through.  Yes I'll admit that I'm a fool for you.  Because you're mine I walk the line."

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

omagawd, Landlocked Blues is such the better song on that there bright eyes album.

Amy C. Pooley said...

Also a solid choice. Who might you be?

Amy C. Pooley said...

Unless you'd rather be anonymous. Which is ok too.