Wednesday, July 20, 2011

POOLEYBLOG's Top 100 songs #60-51

60. Coming home -- John Legend

It's moving and the vocals are incredible, especially at the end.

Best line: "I'll make it home again, I pray you fall in love again."

59. Get by -- Talib Kweli

Can a song be more catchy? Jesus.

Best line: "This morning I woke up feeling brand new, and I jumped up feeling my highs and my lows in my soul, and my goals, just to stop smoking, and stop drinking."

58. The absence of god -- Rilo Kiley

This was a really, really great album.  Jenny Lewis has a great voice.

Best line: "And I say there's trouble when everything is fine.  The need to destroy things creeps up on me every time."

57. (You make me feel like) A natural woman -- Aretha Franklin

There have been good covers of this song, but Aretha does it the best, obviously. Check out the eye make up in that video.  So much for being natural women.

Best line: "You make me feel, you make me feel, you make me feel..."

56. Make the world go away -- Eddy Arnold

This is THE MOST RELAXING SONG IN THE UNIVERSE. Elvis' version is also worth listening to.

Best line: "Make the world go away and get it off of my shoulders.  Say the things you used to say and make the world go away."

55.  Margaritaville -- Jimmy Buffett

This is one of those tricky country songs that sounds happy but is actually sad.  Margaritaville! Sounds perfect, right? Wrong.  Not when your woman has left you and you're too hot and everything around you is all tacky, all the time.

Best line: Eh. It's a story. You need the whole thing.

54. Mine -- Taylor Swift

THIS SONG IS SO GOOD. A wise Facebook friend once said that "somebody wrote the shit out of that song." And it's true.  And it's all about the excitement of being young and in love, which I can relate to.

Best line: "But we got bills to pay! We got nothing figured out!"

53. Fortunate son -- Creedence Clearwater Revival

It's not a road trip if you don't listen to "Fortunate Son".

Best line: "Some folks are born silver spoon in hand, Lord don't they help themselves. But when the taxman comes to the door, Lord, the house looks like a rummage sale."

52. Chasing pavements -- Adele

The first time I heard this song, I was just like, "WHATTT?? WHAT? WHAT IS COMING OUT OF HER MOUTH AND HOW IS SHE MAKING IT HAPPEN?!"  Her voice is that good.  If Adele was in a room with Aretha Franklin, and Aretha asked what she did for a living, Adele could say "I'm a singer" without feeling like a total dumbass.  Just saying.

51. Only you -- The Platters

The Platters: cooler than The Temptations since forever.  The vocals.  So beautiful.

Best line: Again, doesn't matter.  They could be singing obscenities and it would still be heavenly.

1 comment:

Abby Southwell said...

Amy Pooley, I held my tongue when you called Conor Oberst annoying (my 15 year old self cried for a week, though), and said you don't like the Postal Service mostly (whyyyyyyy?) but this placement of Taylor Swift at #54, with Rilo Kiley at #58? In fairness, I am currently staring at my wall, which is adorned with a Rilo Kiley "More Adventurous" poster, but I protest. (Not really, though, I love me some T-Swift. Also the variety on this list is making me happy.)