Wednesday, August 3, 2011

POOLEYBLOG's Top 100 songs #9

9. Be my baby -- The Ronettes

This song is really in vogue right now.  It has every quality that attracts me to a song -- what the fuck?! vocals, words about love, great backup vocals, and even the influence of Phil Spector.

Oh, Phil Spector.  I love his musical contributions.  He did amazing things with girl groups (he was married to a Ronnette), The Beatles, etc. and he heavily influenced tons of artists (the Beach Boys, Bruce Springsteen, Leonard Cohen).  This guy is such an important figure in popular musical history.

But Jesus Christ, he's a maniac.  In an industry full of terrible people, he stands out.  I mean, look at him!


I guess looking like a criminal doesn't mean you're a crimial, but in Phil Spector's case it does.  Long story short, the man loves guns a lot and that stopped working for him eventually. Phil Spector scares the shit out of me, and I'm thrilled he's in prison rather than walking the streets right now. 

Either way, this is my 9th favorite song.


Best line: "For every kiss you give me, I'll give you three."

No comments: