Wednesday, August 3, 2011

POOLEYBLOG's Top 100 Songs #20-11

20. Cruel to be kind -- Nick Lowe

This video is hilariously lame, but I love Nick Lowe. And remember this great scene from 10 Things I Hate About You?

Best line: Some songs don't have best lines.  I'm starting to wish I hadn't included this question. Sigh.

19. You and me and the moon -- The Magnetic Fields

SO GOOD. My favorite song from my favorite band.

Best line: "When you look in my eyes, I go soft inside, and the sound of your voice sends shivers up my spine.  At the slightest touch we're in love, you and me and the moon."


18. In the aeroplane over the sea -- Neutral Milk Hotel

Like "Do you realize", a song that means a lot to a lot of people my age, though this one's a little older (1996ish). 

Best line: "And one day we will die and our ashes will fly from the aeroplane over the sea.  But for now we are young, let us lay in the sun and count every beautiful thing we can see."
17. Neighborhood #1 -- Arcade Fire

The first track on Arcade Fire's first full-length, 2003's Funeral.  Funeral is easily one of the 10 best albums of the 2000's, and it was ridiculously influential.  I can't say enough good things to say about that record.

Best line: "You change all the lead sleeping in my head to gold."

16. Do you wanna dance -- The Mamas and the Papas

Always a good song, no matter who does it, but there's something about the rhythm of the MATP version that's really swingin'.  Also, it includes the word "loverman." Also, while we're on the subject, can we talk about Mama Cass's voice? Otherworldly good.

Best line: "Do you want to dance and hold my hand? Tell me, I'm your loverman."

15. What's going on -- Marvin Gaye

No explanation needed.

Best line: "Mother mother, there's too many of you cryin'.  Brother brother, there's far too many of you dying.  You know we got to find a way to bring some lovin' here today.  Father father we don't need to escalate.  See, war is not the answer, for only love can conquer hate."

14. Build me up buttercup -- The Foundations

THIS SONG IS SO ENERGETIC!!!!! ALL CAPS!!!!!

Best line: "Hey hey hey!"

13. Good year for the roses -- George Jones/Elvis Costello

I've written about this song on this blog before.  The good kind of heartbreaking.

Best line: "I can hardly bear the sight of lipstick on the cigarettes there in the ashtray, lying cold the way you left them, but at least your lips carressed them while you packed. And the lip ring on the half-filled cup of coffee that you bought and didn't drink.  But at least you thought you wanted it -- that's so much more than I can say for me."


12. For once in my life -- Stevie Wonder

I dare you to feel sad while listening to this song!

Best line: The back-up vocals.

11. Galveston -- Glen Campbell

I've also talked about this song.

Best line: "Galveston, oh Galveston. I am so afraid of dying before I've dried the tears she's crying."

No comments: