Monday, August 8, 2011

POOLEYBLOG's Top 100 songs #3

3. Desperado -- Linda Ronstadt

As I have said before, Linda's should be the canonical version of this song.  There's nothing good about The Eagles' version, though you of course have to give them credit for writing it.  This is a gay cowboy song. Or something.  Whatever it is, it's heartbreaking and smart and silly and fun and great for singing in the shower.  The final video is the Northwestern a cappella group, Purple Haze, singing Desperado.  The lead singer is Harris, who apparently once saved my girlfriend's life, and the tall blond man in the back left is my buddy Eric.  Shucks, sometimes I wish I was still in college.

Also, while on youtube, I just discovered that the Carpenters did their own version of Desperado? Why god, why? Who is the sicko who let Karen Carpenter anywhere near Desperado? SOME THINGS ARE JUST TOO SAD AND YOU CAN'T ALLOW THEM TO HAPPEN BECAUSE THEY'RE TOO SAD.







Best line: "And freedom, oh freedom, that's just some people talkin'.  Your prison is walking through this world all alone."

No comments: